Skip to content

General

Hi MovieLens users! We recently launched our first major revision to MovieLens since 2003! Please help us grow in the right direction by giving us thoughtful feedback on the design and functioning of the new user experience.

Ideas, questions, and bug reports are all welcome here.

582 results found

1. Add selections to filter results

There is no button to filter results from bad to best ratings

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Search Word Order should be irrelevant.

Struck for the name of a movie, tried to search for "Anonymous Authors" [without quotations] which came up with no predictive suggestions in dropdown nor any search results as the movie title is "Authors Anonymous". Also in tag search, the same search implementation is concurrent.

The order should not matter, many users may give up and in longer titles, the number of permutations will increase many fold. Finally, the movie title in the database may not match the exact title word order that users will commonly know the movie by, or may not match one of the many various titles…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Custom lists

It would be nice to be able to make lists like "best of 2014" for example.
    or, custom "only for us" tags =)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. lacks new movies

At least to me, the system gives a lot of movies that I already saw as recommended, but very few movies that I was considering if I should see or not

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Rate Attributes eg Director(s), Cast, Length

Treat attributes like tags and allow for the ability to mark as "like" about attribute or dislike that attribute about movie. This would have a catastrophic effect on improving predicted ratings if used correctly. For instance, being able to specifically rate / tell movielens that a rom-com was enjoyable in terms of the romance / drama genres but the comedy was off would be great or vice-versa. It would also likely increase "important" tags [statistically significant / even if tags are not used, attribute ratings could be more easily used / most beneficial to community as well regardless of if…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Case Insensitive Tags and Search

A tag of "ABCD" should be treated the same as "abcd" ["aBcD" or any other combination] in tag database. It is absurd to differentiate between cases, the tags are not very precise semantic data and applying a programmers convention to community data is backward and lazy. One method / function is all it takes to clean up the mess.

Furthermore, when making a search, all input should be converted to whatever case the database is stored in so again, "ABC" matches "Abc" which matches "abC" etc.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. increasing the Hd

HD as we know inreases the beauty and perfect picture to be observed by the clients (Viewers).This will help in increase of their need to watch them(movies).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Max Harper responded

Would you please clarify what you’re asking for? Are you asking for retina support for our images? Or, tagging movies with blu-ray?

9. Prevent addition of films where the release date is years away

Some genious added many super hero films to imdb which are not due to be released until much much later. One has a release date set for 2019!? Prevent this kind of behaviour some way. Mission Impossible 5 has also already been on the site for many months yet no action has been taken (at least I flagged it when it was added). People are actually rating these too which distorts recommendations.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Max Harper responded

Thanks for the info. We need to build up our movie database management tools to address problems like this. Coming!

10. List

Let us create personalized list! they are so much fun, and get people in conversations!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. New DVD and/or streaming releases

Need a filter to differentiate new DVD and/or stream releases from new theater releases

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We would love to do this, too. We are still considering our options, since it’s not totally clear how to get this data.

12. New Movie Added But Not Showing up in Search

This is an example of a movie that I wanted to add, BUT, it says it has already been added. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428144/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). The problem is that when it was added, the TMDB link somehow got mixed up and it did not extract the information from it. The IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes link work, BUT, the TMDB link shows no such movie exists. HOWEVER, when you search TMDB, the movie does in fact exist, here is the link to the movie: (http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/32128-category-6-day-of-destruction). This has happened to SEVERAL movies which I have added. I keep on clicking the flag…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Max Harper responded

Thanks for the bug report, and sorry for your troubles! There is a historical context here that manifests itself in the new site as a bug. The movie is in the system (added in april 2005) but never got promoted to “live” during the era of our “resident movie guru”, so it’s effectively hidden. That is easily fixed for this movie (done).

We’ll prioritize building better tools for helping the community address these issues without turning to our support forum.

13. Quotes!

Add quotes to the movies, then it would be a great place to centralize all cinema things for everyone.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Autocomplete incorrectly shows no results in some cases (was: Why is finding movies with multiple names so hard on new Movielens?)

I've had trouble finding a few movies here since you updated the site. If I search a foreign movie by the original name it shows no results and only when I try adding it to the database the page tells me it's already there. I had the same problem when I looked for a movie with at least two English names. I've never had trouble with this before.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Max Harper responded

Thanks for the bug report. We know about two issues:

• can’t search for numbers (e.g., “300”)
    • can’t search for non-ascii characters (e.g., “amélie”)

We plan to fix these problems soon. Also, we plan to add support for multiple/secondary titles, which may address Raven’s comments.

If you post examples of searches that fail that don’t belong to those two categories, that would be very helpful.

15. Privacy support

You could for example apply a simple data mining privacy preserving approach to your database ratings to a small extend (e.g 10%).

This might bring lower accuracy. However users mights give more ratings freely.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. You could give the option to the users to create a trust (maybe a distrust also) network of users, such the one found in epinions

By creating a trust network perhaps the accuracy can become better, you could have more diverse recommendations and solve the cold start problem in some extend.

Happy to join and help in any way possible!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Matching Users Directly to Other Users

To complement the present system could we match users to each other directly. The idea is this, instead of predicting the ratings directly, what you would do is use a best match function of your own ratings with those of another user – you are essentially trying to find your other self. The key advantage of this method is possibly finding hidden gems – a lot of the time my predicted films are ones I know about already.

One problem with ratings is that some people’s ratings are generally cardinally higher than others which could skew this somewhat, as could…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Physiocrat,

The algorithm that you describe is actually the grandfather of recommendation algorithms, known as “user-user collaborative filtering”. This algorithm has lots of nice properties, especially because it is such an intuitive and interesting approach to the problem of finding new content, but its performance characteristics make it unsuitable for systems like movielens.

Your interface ideas that build on the intuition are really interesting, and there are some fun projects in there (especially combining user-user with tag information).

18. Set a movie as "favorite"

Hi, it would be great to be able to set a movie as favorite ones : sometimes I adore a movie, but I rate it lower than another one I don't like so much (because of the mood, etc). It would be nice to be able to flag our favorites movies - the one you would bring with you on a desert island.
    This could eventually be achieved with lists (https://movielens.uservoice.com/forums/238501-general/suggestions/5533426-can-we-keep-a-list-and-number-of-the-movies-we-ve), but an heart icon that you click next to the stars (or something like that) would be even more nice. (like on senscritique.com)
    thanks !

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. Letterboxd also has this feature. I think lots of folks would like this.

19. prediction distribution of all unseen movies

It would be good to have the disribution on predicitions for all unseen movies. I was thinking how many movies are recommended to me with score 4.5 or 4 for example.

You guys are awesome!
    Mahdi

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Expand the statistics Movielens provides

Can Movielens, based on my ratings, provide an estimate of my preference for the work of particular directors, screenwriters, and actors?

Also, it would be great to see an estimate of my preference for different combinations (e.g., directors x screen writers, or directors x actors).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General