Skip to content

General

Hi MovieLens users! We recently launched our first major revision to MovieLens since 2003! Please help us grow in the right direction by giving us thoughtful feedback on the design and functioning of the new user experience.

Ideas, questions, and bug reports are all welcome here.

12 results found

1. Filter by movie country

It is nice to have a good recommendation for artsy movies but I would like to have the option to filter them out.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Max Harper responded

We are planning to add the capability of filtering by language, which I think gets you what you’re looking for.

I suppose the other option would be to have a filter to “hide a genre” – e.g., all genres except x. We’re not planning that one, but happy to hear feedback.

2. Add a language filter for searches

One of the features that kept my interest with Movielens was how varied the nationality of the recommendations I received. looking at my current recommendations the top ones are all western films or foreign films that were redistributed in the west. Would it be possible to add a filter by language and/or nationality?

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Filter by language

It would be nice if I could remove anything that is in a language I cannot understand

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. New Movie Added But Not Showing up in Search

This is an example of a movie that I wanted to add, BUT, it says it has already been added. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428144/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). The problem is that when it was added, the TMDB link somehow got mixed up and it did not extract the information from it. The IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes link work, BUT, the TMDB link shows no such movie exists. HOWEVER, when you search TMDB, the movie does in fact exist, here is the link to the movie: (http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/32128-category-6-day-of-destruction). This has happened to SEVERAL movies which I have added. I keep on clicking the flag…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the bug report, and sorry for your troubles! There is a historical context here that manifests itself in the new site as a bug. The movie is in the system (added in april 2005) but never got promoted to “live” during the era of our “resident movie guru”, so it’s effectively hidden. That is easily fixed for this movie (done).

We’ll prioritize building better tools for helping the community address these issues without turning to our support forum.

5. Prevent addition of films where the release date is years away

Some genious added many super hero films to imdb which are not due to be released until much much later. One has a release date set for 2019!? Prevent this kind of behaviour some way. Mission Impossible 5 has also already been on the site for many months yet no action has been taken (at least I flagged it when it was added). People are actually rating these too which distorts recommendations.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the info. We need to build up our movie database management tools to address problems like this. Coming!

6. Better Facebook sharing

If I post the link to a movie page in Facebook, the preview only shows "Movielens", not the title and no image. I know that chasing after Facebook changes is difficult, but maybe there are some small changes that make for a better sharing.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Great feedback, thanks for sharing. I’ll add this to our to-do list.

7. all-time highest-rated/most-rated

Currently, the 'highest rated' and 'most rated' lists only display recent releases. Please add lists for all-time highest rated and most rated movies.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. localisation and more meaning to tags

Hi,

I love the new desing of the site available via beta!
    I would prefer localisation (translatioin). I have some problem to describe my emotional factor and find the right tags to find new movies I did not see yet.

Sometimes it is hard to tell what I like in a movie and dislike in a very similar one. For example I very like Ocean's trilogy, but do not like the Italian job. The similarity is very high, but... Ocean's has... spirit, the other one is just a pretty good job, just like McDonnald's... if you know what I mean.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Placement of tags

I love the concept of tags in movielens. But it only works if enough people use them. I think one way to increase participation would be to place the tags at a more prominent place on the screen. They should be visible as soon as you open the movie page. At the moment you have to scroll down to see the tags. Personally, it took me a while to notice the feature and I think some casual users might completely overlook it.
    Perhaps you could place a tag cloud next to the rating and movie info, along with an invitation…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes. We plan to put some tagging information in the header, as you suggest.

10. Make an option to flag/remove offensive tags

Someone has left racist tags on the review for "A United Kingdom" at https://movielens.org/movies/166149. There is no option for me to report or remove them. Even if an option can't be added, it would be good to remove these tags.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ugh. A problem we haven’t had to deal with yet.

Please click “this tag does not apply, or is a bad tag”. I have done so already for this movie. I’ll prioritize building features to flag/ban users.

11. Recomendations

Whatever your system is it isn't very good. I rated a movie a 1 star and you recommend the sequel? Why would i want to watch the sequel to a movie I hated? You need a complete overall over your system clearly.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While we won’t be overhauling our recommendation algorithm, we do hope to review the tuning of their parameters. Until them, please see the comment for advice on how your personal recommendations might be improved.

12. Ignore caps

Have you thought about ignoring capital letters in tags? There's tags like "medieval" and "Medieval". This merge would help show more accurate tag results, especially for less popular films with this issue.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General