Skip to content

General

Hi MovieLens users! We recently launched our first major revision to MovieLens since 2003! Please help us grow in the right direction by giving us thoughtful feedback on the design and functioning of the new user experience.

Ideas, questions, and bug reports are all welcome here.

4 results found

1. Links to external movie sites

Before, there were automatic links to the rottentomateos, netflix, and imdb sites. those were helpful, and adding more would be neat too, such as AMAZON (my vote) or Hulu...any others?

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Max Harper responded

We’ve taken the easy first step by adding links to IMDB and TMDB.

The harder second step is coming: add arbitrary links (e.g., amazon). We will probably need our members to add/maintain those links, so that will require more development.

Happy to hear suggestions for more sites to link to.

2. Autocomplete incorrectly shows no results in some cases (was: Why is finding movies with multiple names so hard on new Movielens?)

I've had trouble finding a few movies here since you updated the site. If I search a foreign movie by the original name it shows no results and only when I try adding it to the database the page tells me it's already there. I had the same problem when I looked for a movie with at least two English names. I've never had trouble with this before.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Max Harper responded

Thanks for the bug report. We know about two issues:

• can’t search for numbers (e.g., “300”)
    • can’t search for non-ascii characters (e.g., “amélie”)

We plan to fix these problems soon. Also, we plan to add support for multiple/secondary titles, which may address Raven’s comments.

If you post examples of searches that fail that don’t belong to those two categories, that would be very helpful.

3. sorting by least fav

rating with the least favorite movie could help engine to provide suggestion

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add ability to sort alphabetically (universally)

Universally across all the pages on the MovieLens website, the 'Sort by' dropdown currently does not allow members to sort the displayed category's movies alphabetically; just 4 sort options are presented: 1) recommended, 2) # ratings, 3) release date, 4) date added to MovieLens.

From time to time (but certainly not always and certainly not as the default), I'd like to view certain pages sorted alphabetically. Almost 6 years ago, a member posted the suggestion here to add the ability to sort 'My Ratings' (specifically) alphabetically ( https://movielens.uservoice.com/forums/238501-general/suggestions/6378010-add-the-ability-to-sort-my-ratings-alphabeticall ) and a few other members agreed that they'd also like the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for taking so long to get to this, We’ve been working to rewrite some of our sort logic for a while just to clean up some really messy code that was getting in the way of changes.

It actually looks like this is implemented in the backend already, so it should definitely be added to the front-end by the next update.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base