Skip to content

General

Hi MovieLens users! We recently launched our first major revision to MovieLens since 2003! Please help us grow in the right direction by giving us thoughtful feedback on the design and functioning of the new user experience.

Ideas, questions, and bug reports are all welcome here.

68 results found

1. Order by Recommended doesn't work

I click 'sort by recommended' and I get all kinds of predicted ratings at the top, it should go from highest to lowest, but it's all over the place.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is, currently, the intended behavior of our recommender -- the key idea here is that we think of "predicted rating" and "recommendation" as two separate ideas -- there's more to forming good recommendations than just filling it up with things we predict a person will like if they watch. For instance -- if the recommendation is full of things that the user is unlikely to watch (even if they would rate it highly *if* they did watch it) then it's not a good recommendation is it? An example of this might be recommendations full of obscure, or hard-to-find movies. Another common example is a recommendation full of only one thing (like, recommending only "star trek" movies -- there's enough to fill a page of recommendations, but after recommending one or two, there isn't actually much point recommending the rest *at the same time*)

To try to avoid this, we…

2. Shitty user communication

You force me to register, in a much stronger way than the movielens site itself, just to tell me I cannot submit my vote at this time? Who do you think you are?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. subscribe to conversation updates in uservoice

I'd like to be able to subscribe for updates to topics here I'm interested in, so that if a new response gets posted I get an email :)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a feature request for uservoice.com, not for the MovieLens specific uservoice form. I'm afraid we can't help you directly with it (since we don't really control uservoice.com, only movielens.org)

FWIW -- as an admin, I have a button "email subscribed voter" -- so I think there is a subscription feature, but maybe it's not obvious how to use it? I suppose if you get this response over email you'll know that the subscription worked!

4. Warrior & Wizard - "popular" or "highly rated" - filter suggestion instead

These two are based on "ratings". Is that the NUMBER of people who have rated it, or the average rating score?

You'd think clicking >more popular or <less popular meant you were simply choosing movies which more or fewer voted for, not the average rating. To me, both are problematic, "average taste" is often not at all my taste, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, for example, I have zero interest in seeing those... so these two search methods seem to be a waste of space.. It would be MUCH better to have Warrior and Wizard be categories…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Filters please

I would like to be able to filter, for example, movies between 1995 and 2005, or whatever. Also to filter language or genre or whether it's an independent or not, etc...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. X + Y

"X + Y" is probably better known as "A Brilliant Young MInd":

https://movielens.org/movies/139721

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this feedback. In the future, queries and improvements to the movie collection itself are better sent to movielens-content@umn.edu . We only check the user-voice idea suggestions from time-to-time and it’s easy for a query like this to get lost.

Unfortunately, we currently use TMDB: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/278236-x-y as our canonical source of movie titles, and they still list the X+Y title. I do see the “A Brilliant Young Mind” title over on IMDB, so you could probably go to TMDB and recommend that as a title update — they are pretty pro-active about allowing community edits. If that changes the title in their database it should show up changed on our database as well…

7. Genre deflation (assigning everything isn't helpful)

The two most problematic Genres are "Drama" and "Comedy". Because almost every move has some drama and almost every movie has some humor they are incorrectly assigned causing misdirection.

The Babadok, The dark knight rises, Rambo, The hateful eight - a few examples of movies tagged as Drama - while I am sure an argument can be made, that is not what people expect when they ask for a drama to be recommended.

Hartbreak ridge, Focus, Lethal weapon, The cabin in the woods all have some comedy, but not what one would expect when you look for a comedy.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion. Changes to our genre system would be interesting, but very difficult. Currently all our genre data comes from TMDB, therefore I don’t know that we can make this change, but you could look over to TMDB and see if changes can be made there.

You could also look into supporting the MovieLens tags and see if the tagging system better suits your needs.

8. Music too inconsistently assigned

The Music Genre is way to inconsistently applied to have any meaning. Examples of movies that don't have Music as a genre - Greatest Showman, Mamma Mia, Grease, etc. (There are many that shouldn't be - A night at the Roxbury, Earthgilrs are easy, etc)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion. Changes to our genre system would be interesting, but very difficult. Currently all our genre data comes from TMDB, therefore I don’t know that we can make this change, but you could look over to TMDB and see if changes can be made there.

You could also look into supporting the MovieLens tags and see if the tagging system better suits your needs.

9. Sci-Fi OR Fantasy (not both)

When both Fantasy and Sci-Fi are used as Genre tags it tends to dilute the usefulness of both. Create a restriction that allows you to use one or the other. Yes of course there are some that can be argued to be both, but the easy majority is primarily on or the other.

Hakan

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Sports as a genre

With the number of movies base on or in around sports, it could be a useful Genre to officially add. Days of thunder, Invinceble, Remember the titans, Hoosiers, Marjor league, Miracle, We are Marshall, Tin cup, the replacements, a league of their own, etc are just a few examples.

Thank you,

Hakan

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. How do I fix brother printer not connected issue?

I’m little more confused to connect my brother printer to my computer system. I tried my efforts for it, but I didn’t get success in this challenge. I had no any solution for this technical challenge. Right now, I am not expert in technical field. I am just new to brother printer. So, I am facing brother printer is not connected issue. I want to take the support from technicians. Someone please guide me how to connect brother printer to computer system.

https://www.brotherprintersupportpro.us/blog/brother-printer-say-not-connected/

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. How to set up HP office jet pro 6978 printer correctly?

If you want to set up HP office jet pro 6978, you can perform the steps from 123.hp.com/setup 6978. This website helps you to complete the setup process of HP office jet pro 6978 in the proper ways. Initially, you need to open 123.hp.com/setup 6978 in the preferred browser that you’re using. In the beginning step, you need to enter your model number of your printer, and after that, you need to cover all displayed steps. Thus, you can complete the set up process of HP office jet pro 6978 using 123.hp.com/setup 6978. During the process, if you get stuck,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. How do I configure Bellsouth email account?

I want to set up Bellsouth email account for my official tasks. Bellsouth email service is one of the most popular emailing applications, which is mainly used by countless users. This email service has many unique and advanced features, so millions of users use it for many purposes. To login into this email account, users need to make the right Bellsouth email settings. It is also true the right setting is very necessary to create the account. I don’t have full knowledge on how to configure Bellsouth email settings? So anyone can suggest the ways to configure the Bellsouth email…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Regarding business model..

Hello,

I joined only a few months ago, and was greatly impressed by the capabilities. Recommendation engines on streaming platforms are limited to the content they have, while movielens is not limited this way. I wanted to offer a few suggestions:

Monetize!: I don't mean from the users, but you can provide links to watch the movie from streaming services, and monetize from them. I think the users will actually appreciate the convenience to start watching a recommendation right away, rather than look at it as an ad. You can still remain non-profit and reinvest the revenue in marketing and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re unlikely to change this feature of our service for various reasons. Most notably: We’ve strongly committed to our user that we are not a for-profit monetized service. Some users view this as important to our appeal.

15. bring back old movielens

new work remains full of inconsistencies and bugs; such as not showing "show trailer" in movieexplorer, which does nothing anyway.
    Out with the new, bring back the old plz.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Spirit recommender

Just signed up for the new recommendation engine and nearly opted out immediately after, because my new top picks do not match my taste at all. But I just realized that this is just because the first two pages are littered exclusively with obscure asian trash movies which received a five star prediction. After the first two pages, the recommendations actually look sensible. So this might in fact be a bug in the algorithm?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Max Harper responded

Hi Janus, thanks for volunteering to try our experimental code, and sorry about the fail. There is a problem in the implementation that you’re observing, and that we will fix really soon.

18. Recommenedation based on "semantics" of the email address?

I used my private email for signing up and a nickname that has nothing to do with the email. my email address includes my surname which is slavic. I've got quite of few top recommendations for Russian movies.Is this a coincidence or part of the algorithm? If it is a part of the algorithm you might want to look into that and probably tweek it, there are enough slavic people/descendents of such who are not at aimiable terms with the Russian culture. Absolutely no offence to the Russian movies! It just stroke me that those recommendations came up, and you…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do not use email addresses to recommend movies. Your recommendations are based on your ratings.

19. Bring the Buddy search to the new Movielens website

That's the primary feature I use Movielens for. If you were to get rid of that feature entirely, I probably wouldn't use the site.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing as a duplicate of the current #1 feature request.

20. refine search results by year!

I'd very much like to refine my search results by year.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

That is possible. Add a release date filter to any search. We’re investigating ways to make “advanced search” easier and faster to use.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base